Saturday, November 10, 2012

Am I being "Punk'd"???

Sometimes I really think I'm being punked. Yesterday afternoon was one of those moments. I had just walked in the door from afterschool pick up, and my phone rang. Not let me back up a second here to say I've been answering every phone call lately, as one of my kids is having a slumber party and I asked everyone to RSVP via my cell. I don't normally answer unavailable numbers, but I did. So back to the story. So the conversation goes like this:

Other party: Hi this is XYZ, great grandmother of ABC. Is this (insert my child's name) mother?
Me: Yes. Hi, it's nice to meet you.
OP: Yes, well we have a problem. You see, your child told both of my great granddaughter's they could come to her party. And now I have one child in tears in the car because the invitation did not have her name on it.
Me: Oh, well, I don't know what to tell you. My child lied.(Yes, I totally said that, without even checking with my child if she DID say it, which later I asked and she said NO!) We invited only the girls in my child's class, at that's quite enough for me to handle.
(An aside, the OTHER granddaughter is in a different grade, which is why she wasn't invited)
OP: Well, I was wondering if my other great granddaughter could come to the party too. She'll bring a really nice gift.
Me:(Stuttering to come up with a NICE reply to a person I have never met before in my life) Well, see, that's really nice, but, uh, well I have 6 kids already(I didn't include #1) who will be here, and I just don't feel comfortable adding any more children, especially ones I don't know very well, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have my hands full with the ones who are coming. I'm really sorry.
OP: I just don't know what I'm going to do. So, you still want my granddaughter at your party?
ME: Um, well, yes, we would enjoy her company if she can attend without her sister.
OP: Yeah, well. Ok. So what's your address?
Me: It's on the invitation(which I'm assuming she had to be looking at because how the hell else did she get my phone number?!), but here, I'll give it to you again. ::Gives lady the address::
OP: Oh, yeah, do you know BLAHDY BLAH BLAH? She lives over off Burch street, she's my sister.
Me: No, I'm sorry. I don't even know what Burch Street is.
OP: That's ok. Yeah. Well. Then. We'll see you.
Me: Ok. Thanks for calling.
OP: Yeah. Thanks a lot.

Then I hung up wondering if this lady was coming today for a party, because I think she was mistaken on the date or something. The party isn't for another week. It was so weird. I was kind of shaken that some person that I have never met before had the balls to call and ask if they can bring the sibling of the invited child to a sleepover at my house and they don't even know WHO the hell I am. It was just beyond odd, and I kept thinking someone was going to call me and tell me it was a joke. Or maybe even that grandma forgot to take her medicine. I can honestly say, that was a first for me. And I really hope the last. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment